May 1, 2026

Borkena
Toronto – In a brief statement released on Thursday, Anouar EL ANOUNI, spokesperson of the European Union, said “The European Union is following developments in the Tigray Regional State with great concern.”
The statement came in the wake of Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) decision to reinstate a regional council from the 2020 election which the Ethiopian National Electoral Board considered as illegitimate.
The TPLF agreed, when signing the Pretoria Agreement in November 2022, in the formation of an Interim Regional Administration to replace the regional government that was elected through an illegal election board, as the election board deemed it.
Now the TPLF wants to reinstate it after the Federal government. Two weeks ago, extended Tadesse Worede’s terms of office as president of the Interim Administration. The organization rejected the extension on grounds that “it violates the Pretoria agreement” which the Federal government sees as incorrect assertion.
The European Union tends to think that the TPLF recent action – the decision to remove Tadesse Worede’s Interim Administration – could escalate tension in the region.
“We call for immediate de-escalation and avoidance of any actions that jeopardise the Permanent Cessation of Hostilities Agreement, signed in Pretoria in November 2022,” the spokesperson said in the statement.
The Union is urging a political dialogue to resolve differences. “It is imperative that another devastating conflict is avoided,” The EU said.
There were reports of what appears to be a diplomatic effort on the part of the U.S. government as well. According to sources from the region, three diplomats from the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa on Monday travelled to Mekelle, Tigray region of Ethiopia to meet with TPLF leaders.
The sources added that the TPLF leaders are threatened with Asset Freeze and travel ban to the U.S. if they trigger another round of war in the region. Borkena reached out to the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa via email to confirm the story. No response is given regarding the inquiry at the time of this wiring although the embassy replied saying ““We will revert as soon as we have further updates and feedback.”
Before meeting the TPLF leaders, three U.S. diplomats met with Tadesse Worede last week, which he confirmed during an interview with Youtube based Reyot Media on Wednesday.
TPLF this week warned that it will be a “mistake” if Tadesse Worede fails to hand over responsibility (to TPLF) peacefully. Tadesse rejected that there is nothing he will handover but the TPLF can do whatever it wants to. Tadesse revealed this week that the TPLF is already three-fourth of the Interim Administration composition.
The Ethiopian government has not yet responded to the TPLF’s moves. It has been alleged that the TPLF is preparing for war and being supported by the Eritrean government. It has been restricting budget transfers and goods supply including gas to the region on alleged grounds that it will be redirected to war efforts.
__
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
To Support Borkena : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/ – one time support or small monthly options available. Inquire information about it : info@borkena.com
Like borkena on Facebook
To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com
